Home

What's New

News Release | Illinois PIRG | Democracy

Five Years After Citizens United, Groups Gather to Rally Against Big Money in Elections and Call for Solutions

Illinois PIRG, joined by a broad array of groups and dozens of local residents, gathered at the Kluczynski Federal Plaza to mark the fifth anniversary of Citizens United, the infamous decision that birthed Super PACs and opened the floodgates for special interest money in our elections.  The groups called out the flood of big money in elections and put forward solutions to amplify the voice of average Americans.

> Keep Reading
Report | Illinois PIRG | Democracy

The Money Chase

Five years after the Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United v. FEC decision, what are the roles of large donors and average voters in selecting and supporting candidates for Congress? This report examines the role of money in the 2014 congressional elections from both quantitative and qualitative perspectives, and demonstrates how matching small political contributions with limited public funds can change the campaign landscape for grassroots candidates.

> Keep Reading
News Release | Illinois PIRG | Transportation

Illinois PIRG Praises Blankenhorn Nomination, Early Rauner Action to Put the Brakes on the Illiana Boondoggle

In his first days in office Governor Rauner took two actions which spell trouble for the controversial Illiana Expressway: the nomination of Illiana critic Randy Blankenhorn to serve as Secretary of the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), and an executive order suspending all new interstate infrastructure projects until they undergo a review.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Consumer Protection

President Issues Privacy Platform | Ed Mierzwinski

Today the President announced support for a variety of privacy protections, most of which are laudable. However, it remains our view that Congressional consideration of a "uniform national breach notification standard" is unnecessary and, worse, will give powerful special interests an opportunity to use the proposal as a Trojan Horse to enact sweeping preemptive limits on state privacy protections.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Consumer Protection

Wall Street Gets Rare House Floor Defeat | Ed Mierzwinski

UPDATED 12 Jan 2015 (adding opposition to Regulatory Accountability Act): House leaders miscalculated today when they attempted to pass a sweeping rollback of Wall Street reforms under a suspension of the rules procedure usually limited to bills naming Post Offices and praising Cub Scouts and Little League teams. Faced with strong opposition led by Rep. Keith Ellison (MN), the proposal failed to get the necessary 2/3rds vote in favor to pass, but unfortunately it is expected to be back.

> Keep Reading

Pages

News Release | Illinois PIRG | Democracy

Five Years After Citizens United, Groups Gather to Rally Against Big Money in Elections and Call for Solutions

Illinois PIRG, joined by a broad array of groups and dozens of local residents, gathered at the Kluczynski Federal Plaza to mark the fifth anniversary of Citizens United, the infamous decision that birthed Super PACs and opened the floodgates for special interest money in our elections.  The groups called out the flood of big money in elections and put forward solutions to amplify the voice of average Americans.

> Keep Reading
News Release | Illinois PIRG | Transportation

Illinois PIRG Praises Blankenhorn Nomination, Early Rauner Action to Put the Brakes on the Illiana Boondoggle

In his first days in office Governor Rauner took two actions which spell trouble for the controversial Illiana Expressway: the nomination of Illiana critic Randy Blankenhorn to serve as Secretary of the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), and an executive order suspending all new interstate infrastructure projects until they undergo a review.

> Keep Reading
News Release | Illinois PIRG | Consumer Protection, Democracy

Illinois PIRG Condemns Backdoor, Backroom “Cromnibus” Proposals to gut Wall Street and Campaign Finance Reforms

As Congress considers the “Cromnibus,” Illinois PIRG decried two special interest provisions snuck into the bill and called on the Illinois Congressional Delegation to reject any bill that includes those provisions.

> Keep Reading
News Release | Illinois PIRG | Democracy

Attorney General Madigan, Good Government & Media Organizations Oppose Measure to Make Illinois Government Less Transparent

A coalition of good government and media organizations joined Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan Monday in voicing strong opposition to a recently introduced measure in the Illinois General Assembly that would significantly weaken the state’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). The measure, introduced last Tuesday, would expand the ability of a government body to withhold information from the public, and make it harder for citizens to use the legal system when a government body is violating transparency laws.

> Keep Reading
News Release | Illinois PIRG | Public Health

New Poll Reveals Overwhelming Majority of Doctors Concerned About Antibiotics Use on Healthy Food Animals

The overwhelming majority of doctors--a total of 93 percent--are concerned about the common meat industry practice of using antibiotics on healthy animals for growth promotion and disease prevention, according to a new poll released today commissioned by Consumer Reports and released by Consumers Union and Illinois PIRG (Public Interest Research Group).  

> Keep Reading

Pages

Result | Public Health

KIDS’ SCHOOL LUNCHES NOW SAFER

For years, America’s schoolchildren have been eating beef, chicken and other foods that would have been rejected as substandard even by fast food chains. Thanks in part to our advocacy, the U.S.D.A. has stopped buying such low-quality meat for school lunches.

> Keep Reading
Result | Health Care

Young People Now Covered

This year, the federal health care reforms that Illinois PIRG worked to win have started to pay off for young people. In the past, teens saw their premiums soar or were denied coverage when they turned 19, even if they’d been insured their whole lives. Now, they can remain on their parents’ plans until age 26. 

> Keep Reading
Report | Illinois PIRG | Democracy

The Money Chase

Five years after the Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United v. FEC decision, what are the roles of large donors and average voters in selecting and supporting candidates for Congress? This report examines the role of money in the 2014 congressional elections from both quantitative and qualitative perspectives, and demonstrates how matching small political contributions with limited public funds can change the campaign landscape for grassroots candidates.

> Keep Reading
Report | Illinois PIRG Education Fund | Consumer Protection

Trouble in Toyland 2014

Among the toys surveyed this year, we found numerous choking hazards and five toys with concentrations of toxics exceeding federal standards. In addition to reporting on potentially hazardous products found in stores in 2014, this installment of the report describes the potential hazards in toys and children’s products.

> Keep Reading
Report | Illinois PIRG Education Fund and Demos | Democracy

The Dominance of Big Money in the 2014 Congressional Elections

In 2014, large donors accounted for the vast majority of all individual federal election contributions this cycle, just as they have in previous elections. Seven of every 10 individual contribution dollars to the federal candidates, parties, PACs and Super PACs that were active in the 2013-2014 election cycle came from donors who gave $200 or more. Candidates alone got 84 percent of their individual contributions from large donors.

> Keep Reading
Report | Illinois PIRG and Consumers Union | Public Health

Prescription For Change

Our September 2014 survey of physicians paints a grim picture of the growing problem of antibiotic-resistant infections. The overwhelming majority of surveyed doctors reported that one or more of their patients had been diagnosed with a presumed or confirmed case of a multi-drug resistant bacterial infection in the past twelve months. They also expressed concern about the use of antibiotics in livestock production facilities on healthy animals in order to promote growth and prevent disease.

> Keep Reading
Report | Illinois PIRG | Public Health

Prescription For Change

A pillar of modern medicine, antibiotics save millions of lives each year. Due to their overuse, however, bacteria that have become immune to these drugs are spreading. While scientists have recognized this potential for decades, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), this phenomenon “has been vastly accelerated and amplified by a number of human practices, human behaviours, and policy failures” and “collectively, the world has failed to handle these fragile cures with appropriate care.”

> Keep Reading

Pages

Blog Post | Consumer Protection

President Issues Privacy Platform | Ed Mierzwinski

Today the President announced support for a variety of privacy protections, most of which are laudable. However, it remains our view that Congressional consideration of a "uniform national breach notification standard" is unnecessary and, worse, will give powerful special interests an opportunity to use the proposal as a Trojan Horse to enact sweeping preemptive limits on state privacy protections.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Consumer Protection

Wall Street Gets Rare House Floor Defeat | Ed Mierzwinski

UPDATED 12 Jan 2015 (adding opposition to Regulatory Accountability Act): House leaders miscalculated today when they attempted to pass a sweeping rollback of Wall Street reforms under a suspension of the rules procedure usually limited to bills naming Post Offices and praising Cub Scouts and Little League teams. Faced with strong opposition led by Rep. Keith Ellison (MN), the proposal failed to get the necessary 2/3rds vote in favor to pass, but unfortunately it is expected to be back.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Financial Reform

House Floor Vote on Budget Delayed over Special Interest "Riders" From Wall Street, Other Powerful Interests | Ed Mierzwinski

UPDATED: Opposition to a controversial provision authored by Citibank forced House leaders to delay consideration of the "CRomnibus" appropriations package just hours before funding for the federal government expired at midnight Thursday. Eventually the bill passed narrowly with the Wall Street provision intact. Action now shifts to the Senate, which has a 48-hour window to pass the bill, but any one Senator can block it under Senate rules. The provision would again allow Wall Street banks to place risky bets with taxpayer-backed funds, and require taxpayers to bail them out if the bets fail, repealing a key protection added in the 2010 Wall Street reform law. 

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Democracy

Student Government Leaders Support Voting Reform Bill | Abe Scarr

The Illinois Legislature is close to passing a sweeping election reform bill that, among other positive reforms, would make Election Day Registration permanent, and provide early voting on all state University campuses. Illinois student leaders have rallied to suppor the bill.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Democracy

Election Day Registration Passes Illinois House | Abe Scarr

Legislation to make Election Day Registration permanent - backed by Illinois PIRG and our coalition, Just Vote - passed through the Illinois House today. The Senate has until tomorrow to pass the bill before the fall session ends.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Priority Action

The overuse of antibiotics on factory farms is threatening the effectiveness of lifesaving antibiotics. Call on the Obama Administration to put an end to the worst practices.

Support Us

Your donation supports Illinois PIRG’s work to stand up for consumers on the issues that matter, especially when powerful interests are blocking progress.

Consumer Alerts

Join our network and stay up to date on our campaigns, get important consumer updates and take action on critical issues.
Optional Member Code